Stanley A. Martin
I have been involved with the construction industry for more than 45 years, starting with an undergraduate degree in architecture, followed by several years working in construction prior to law school, and continuing with a construction law practice for over 38 years. My work has focused in New England but has involved projects in New York, Washington, DC, Miami, New Orleans, San Francisco, and Chicago, among others. I have consulted on project delivery choices, drafted and negotiated hundreds of contracts, and provided counsel and advice on project issues and contract rights/obligations. My work has also included arbitration and litigation of disputes that could not be resolved, and I have conducted more than 100 trials as an advocate. The emphasis has been, and still is, on cost-effective solutions. Prompt responses, explanation of legal standards, and reasoned advice is what I offer to clients. All based upon a detailed knowledge of the industry.
Project involvement has included –
Conventional: office buildings, institutional structures, bridges, research facilities, multi-unit residential, public buildings, highways, tunnels, and single-family houses.
Iconic: Boston Convention and Exhibition Center, Stata Center at MIT, Boston Central Artery/Tunnel, Red Line Extension, Green Line Extension, and large-scale single-family houses for unnamed clients.
My focus is on project owners and prime contractors, but my experience and client list covers the range of construction-industry players. Clients have included contractors ranging from four among the ENR Top 10, to regional and local contractors who successfully complete six-figure projects. I have also represented many capital facility owners, both public authorities and private institutions and developers. As well, a few design firms and subcontractors are long-standing and loyal clients.
Admissions, Academics, Recognition
- Massachusetts, 1985
- New Hampshire, 1986
- U.S. Dist. Ct. Mass., 1986
- U.S. Dist. Ct. NH, 1986
- 1st Cir. Ct. of Appeals, 1985
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, B.S. Arch., 1977
- Boston College Law School, J.D., 1984
Partial list –
- Fellow, American College of Construction Attorneys (2010 – )
- Boston's Best Lawyers, Construction Law, 2007-2023
- Chambers and Partners, Construction Law, Band 1 ranking
- Mass. Super Lawyers magazine, Construction and Surety, 2005-2023
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
Writing, Speaking, Community
Partial list –
- Construction Law Handbook, 3rd Edition, Wolters Kluwer, Co-editor, 2018
- Northeast Region chapter, Construction Law Update, Wolters Kluwer, 1995-2023
- Massachusetts chapter, Fifty-State Lien and Bond Manual, Wolters Kluwer, 1995-2023
- Construction Contract Damages chapter, Damages, Interest and Attorneys' Fees in Massachusetts Litigation, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (MCLE), 1996 and 4th edition 2013
- Project Delivery Systems for Construction, Associated General Contractors of America (contr. author, 2nd ed. 2004; commenter, 3rd ed. 2011)
I have given more than 200 presentations on construction law topics. Program sponsors have included AGC of America, American Institute of Architects, Construction Management Assoc. of America, American College of Construction Lawyers, American Bar Association, AGC of Massachusetts, Construction Industries of Massachusetts, National Electrical Contractors Association, Boston Bar Association, Boston Society of Architects, and Dispute Review Board Foundation. I have taught construction law courses at MIT, Northeastern University, and WPI.
Partial list of board and officer positions –
- United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley (Real Estate and Building Industry Committee)
- Boston Architectural College
- Wilson Memorial Chapel
- Edgewood Retirement Community
- Andover Committee For A Better Chance
I have also served on boards and committees for AGC of Massachusetts, Massachusetts Building Congress, Construction Industries of Massachusetts, Boston Society of Architects, American Bar Association, Boston Bar Association, and Massachusetts Bar Associations.